Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sarah's Key- Blog Entry 2

   In the book, Sarah’s Key, there are multiple inferences about the events in the book that can be made. One of my inferences is that the houses that both characters live in are the same; the characters just lived in them at different times. I think this because both houses are in Paris and they are both apartments, Julia also talks about how old the apartment is. She says, “My husband’s grandmother had lived here for ages.” (p.11) The great-grandmother is in her 90s, so she could have moved to the apartment when she was a teenager. One of my questions about this inference is did the Tezacs know that they were moving into a house from the infamous roundup? Did they know that the house’s previous occupants had been victims of the Vel' d'Hiv roundup?
   In addition, another inference I made is that some Parisians were against the roundup of Jews. When Sarah and her family were being taken away, one of her neighbors spoke out in defense of the family. He said, “But you can’t do this…they’re honest, good people! You can’t do this! (p. 19) I also know from history that some Europeans hid and protected Jews during the Holocaust. I also wonder why people that Sarah’s family had good relationships with were willing to stand back and let the family continue to their deaths? There may have been up standers to the discrimination but I infer that some French disliked Jews and agreed with the roundup. Sarah demonstrates this point by saying, “That awful boy at school, Daniel, who had whispered horrible things to her under his breath, horrible things about her mother’s accent, her father’s accent.” (p.13) I wondered how a child would think it is okay to discriminate against Jews? What could make a child think they are inferior? 
   I also think that there will be some marriage problems in the future for Julia and Bertrand. Julia says, “Today, for some obscure reason, for the first time, I felt I had had enough.” (p. 21) Bertrand makes fun of Julia for being American and moving to France, he believes that Julia doesn’t care about what he says. One of my questions is what will Julia ever confront him or stand up for herself? 

5 comments:

  1. Good job Eesha. I thought that your blog entry was very good. I think that i would have understood it moor if i had read Sara's Key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harrison...that isn't how u spell more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good job Eesha! You included a lot of inferences we can make about our book. It was also well-written.

    And Brandon, that's not how you spell 'you'. Just sayingg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent inferences, Eesha! I wonder if you notice the foreshadowing the author intended when she mentioned the marital discord between Julia and Bertrand. Good job substantiating your ideas with evidence from the text.

    4/5 points. Comma usage. be sure to place commas in front of FANBOYS in a sentence, and also to separate clauses mid-sentence.

    In these sentences, commas are missing in key places: "I also wonder why people that Sarah’s family had good relationships with were willing to stand back and let the family continue to their deaths? There may have been up standers to the discrimination but I infer that some French disliked Jews and agreed with the roundup."

    Correct placement would be: "I also wonder why people, that Sarah’s family had good relationships with, were willing to stand back and let the family continue to their deaths? There may have been up standers to the discrimination, but I infer that some French disliked Jews and agreed with the roundup."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well written -- tragic, and the the horror of this is that it captures
    the abomination of the Holocaust.

    This is a different kind of story - I promise you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete